City of South Pasadena
Pinellas County, Florida

See South Pasadena map  
  HomeGovernmentCity ServicesCommunityActivities
  EmploymentPermitsLibrary CardFormsUseful LinksScholarshipHall Rental

FEMA | Disaster Preparedness | Recycling | Flood Safety


What are permits and why do I need one?

Permits are the way the City of South Pasadena regulates construction.  There are several different types of permits, based on the type of construction or development.

When do I need a permit?

The following are examples of the most common types of permits.  This list is not all inclusive.  If you are not sure if a permit is required for a specific activity, please call the Community Improvement Department at 727-343-4192.

How to choose a contractor:

Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation

Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board

 Building Permits

Electrical Permits

Heating, Ventilating & Air Conditioning
Mechanical Permits

Demolition of ANY kind
New Structures
   (residential or commercial)
Additions to existing structure
Roofing - new or re-roof
Awnings - commercial
Screen rooms - new or replace
Screen walls - install vinyl or glass
   in existing screen area
Tents - commercial
Covered patios - new or replace or
   close in
Fireplace - new or replace
Carports - new or replace or
   close in
Wall siding - new or replace
Aluminum enclosures
Wood decks, steps, balconies
   new or replace
Walls - removal, replacement or
   adding of walls, pass through
Kitchen cabinets - removal &
Kitchen cabinets - refacing
Kitchen countertop
Kitchen remodeling
Bathrooms - new or remodeled
Doors - exterior
Drywall - removal & replacement (need permit if
one sheet or more)
Garage - new or close in for habitable
   space or storage
Hurricane shutters - new or replacement
Pools & spas - new or replace
Remodeling - interior or exterior
Stairs - removal & replacement
Railings - removal & replacement
Garage doors
Electrical service - new or replacement
Electrical system - new or replacement
Appliance/Equipment - new location or supply
Heat strips - new or replacement
Adding new circuits


Miscellaneous Permits

Sheds - new or replacement
Tile floors
Wood floors
Concrete patios - new or replacement
 Concrete sidewalks/steps - new or
Concrete or asphalt driveway - new or replacement
Concrete or asphalt driveway -
resealing and/or striping
Trees - new or replacement or removal
Flag poles - new or replacement
Signs - Alteration - new, replacement
Signs - face changeout

New systems or equal change-outs
Duct works - replacement
Exhaust vents - new or replacement
Condenser - replacement
Air handler - replacement
Equipment hoods - new or replacement


Plumbing Permits

Shower & tub valves - replacement or
Appliance - new location of drain or
   water supply
Water heater - replacement
Water lines - replacement
Toilet - relocated
Water softener - new or relocated
Shower pan - replacement
Sewer line - replacement
Sink - kit/bath - if relocated
Fire system - new or replacement
Spas - new or reconstruction
Tub - new or replacement


What happens if I build without a permit?

If you begin demolition or construction without the required permit(s), a "stop work order" will be issued by an inspector.  You will be required to apply for the after the fact permit(s) and pay additional fees (five times the amount of the original permit fee). After the permit has been properly issued, you will then be required to uncover any work that has been covered so that it may be inspected prior to the release of the "stop work order". In some cases, regulations or codes may not permit the type of construction that has been done. In this case, you may be required to replace or restore the area to its original condition prior to your construction.

How and where do I get a permit?

Permits are issued by the Community Improvement Department, which is located 6940 Hibiscus Avenue South, South Pasadena, FL 33707. The permit office is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Closed for lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily.  Permits are issued until 3:00 p.m.  The permit office is open on Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.  You may contact us by calling the office at (727) 343-4192. On some simple jobs, a permit may be obtained during the first visit. However, in most circumstances, more time will be needed to review the plans in detail prior to issuing any permits. A minimum of two (2) complete sets of building plans and ten (10) sets of site plans are required to obtain permits for most commercial projects, two sets for residential projects. Staff in the office will be happy to assist you with the requirements for your specific project.


Be sure to only hire licensed contractors when having work done at your house, condo unit or business. No permit is necessary for painting or installation of carpet, but most other items DO require a permit. All contractors must REGISTER with the City of South Pasadena at the Community Improvement Department before they can work in the City or be issued a permit in the City. This is done to ensure that only qualified licensed and insured contractors are doing work for the residents of our community. Remember, it is your responsibility to make sure that a permit has been obtained prior to work being started. If there are any questions as to whether or not a permit is necessary please do not hesitate to contact the Community Improvement Department at 343-4192 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.


Community Improvement Department
6940 Hibiscus Avenue S.
South Pasadena, FL 33707

2012 City of South Pasadena, FL
7047 Sunset Drive South
South Pasadena, FL 33707
fax: 727-345-0518